January 5, 2009

Crafts Part 2

Here is the gift I made for Justin and Janelle this year.  Actually it is for their new little girl that won't be able to use it for a while. I have seen several of them on the internet and thought they were cute.  You attach bows and barretts on the ribbon and I added hooks to the top portion for ponytails and such.  Hopefully they will get some good use out of it as Allie gets older.  

I also made a quilt for my parents this year.  I wanted to do something nicer because of the help my mom gave me on my in-laws quilt.  I decided to make a rag quilt for them but I ended up using homespun fabric instead of flannel because I didn't like the flannel fabric they had available.  I decided I DO NOT LIKE homespun fabric for rag quilts or to sew with at all!  The quilt turned out cute but I had lint EVERYWHERE even before I started to cut the seams, and I am still finding the threads all over my house.  After I washed the quilt to get the edges to frey I didn't like how extremely worn it already looked.  It took a lot more time to make because I had to put batting in between the fabric and with flannel I don't have to do that.  It looks good but I think it could have been much better with flannel.  

I made a gift for one of my friends that is having a little girl at the same time Alex should be here.  It was so much fun to make something with pink and purple.  I just decided to do a little rag quilt and some rag burp cloths.  I messed up when I was cutting the burp cloths and cut them too short but I'm sure they will still work to clean up anything that can come out of a baby. The burp cloths have a little batting inbetween the flannel.  Both items took very little time to make and I've decided that they make very good but affordable baby gifts.   

No comments: