May 29, 2009

Homemade Wooden Blocks

I made these blocks at my parents the other weekend with my mom and sister-in-laws.  We cut up boards to the sizes we wanted and then used an electric sander to smooth out the edges.  (the electic sander is almost a must unless you want this to be a month long project!!!)  This is a much cheaper option then buying them at the store. To finish them off, I'm either going to use mineral oil, which is ok for children to put in their mouths, or decorate them with paper and mod podge.  The mineral oil would be easier but I think that the paper would look much cuter!  I got my inspiration for using Mod Podge from Making A Home with these blocks!  Check out The Shabby Nest for some awesome frugal ideas during her Frugal Friday Link Party!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

cute blog, I like it!

Jen said...

I never thought about making my own! How do you do the round ones?

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Wow! What an undertaking - but so cool! Post pictures if you do the mod podge stuff - I'd love to see it! :)

stephanie h said...

cute, cute, cute!

Lyd Stew said...

I love the block idea- why have I not been keeping up on this blog?- you have so many great ideas!