January 6, 2010

Silhouette Ornaments

This year I finally gave into my mom and gave her ornaments for Christmas instead of buying a gift.  I've always wanted to do some silhouette crafts for myself and thought a silhouette ornament would make the perfect gift for Grandma and Grandpa.

I got the wood pieces at Michaels for .35 a piece (I think.)  I also got the paper at Michaels.  I loved the cracked look of it.  I attached the paper onto the wood with mod podge and sanded down the edges.  The easiest way that I've found to make the silhouettes is to take a picture.  I just printed the picture out and taped it to some black card stock.  Then I took an razer blade and cut out the picture and the card stock at the same time.  It was really easy and exact (which is kind of important with silhouettes.)  I mod podged the silhouette to the wood pieces and then did a couple layers over top as well. Finally, I took some antiquing glaze that I got at Lowe's and put it on the edges.  So simple and just the right price!

1 comment:

jmelgan said...

That is really cool!